West Lafayette Campus Reopening Status Timeline
Details about the current state of operations for all on the West Lafayette campus.
Updated August 3. Subject to change.
Campus building access
- Access to West Lafayette campus buildings is being restored in a phased manner, with most buildings returning to their normal unlock and lock schedules between August 3-10. Specific details are available here.
Requirement for safe health practices, face masks
- Anyone entering a campus building must wear a face mask in all hallways, public spaces and common areas, including classrooms. Masks must also be worn in office and lab spaces if social distancing of six feet is not possible. Those in outdoor situations are also required to wear a face mask if safe social distancing and gathering practices are not possible.
- Residential coursework resumes.
- An alternative fall academic calendar is in place, allowing on-campus classroom instruction to start in August and finish by Thanksgiving break; the balance of the semester will be completed thereafter by remote means and methods.
- Classroom spaces have been de-densified, and all class participants (students and instructors) must wear face coverings/masks and should be encouraged to face the same direction as much as possible.
- Researchers will continue on-campus operations in a manner that complies with COVID-19 safety criteria for research spaces.
- To de-densify on-campus spaces, researchers should continue to work remotely whenever possible.
- Personnel should continue to work remotely or report to their on-campus position as directed by unit leaders.
- Anyone working on campus must follow strict public health protocols, practice safe social distancing and wear a face mask as directed.
- No University-sponsored international travel is permitted. Domestic travel (including air travel) is permitted only if the travel can be conducted in full compliance with public health guidance issued by both the State of Indiana and the destination state at the time of travel. All University-sponsored travel is subject to fiscal approval. Read the full travel guidelines.
- Travel is allowed for research-related purposes within the U.S.; researchers must follow the Guidance for Off-Campus Research Activities in the U.S. See guidance here.
- Most university-sponsored on-campus events are canceled. Full guidelines for on- and off-campus events during the fall 2020 semester can be found here.
- The university urges all colleges, divisions, schools, departments and other organizational units to delay or cancel any invited visitors through the fall 2020 semester, with the exception of admissions programs and tours. Full guidelines on visitors for the fall 2020 semester can be found here.
- Anyone entering a campus building, including contractors, vendors, suppliers and visitors, must wear a face mask in all hallways, public spaces and common areas. Masks must also be worn in office and lab spaces if social distancing of six feet is not possible. Those in outdoor situations are also required to wear a face mask if safe social distancing and gathering practices are not possible.
- Visitors also must complete required safety training before coming to campus.
- Guidance and a checklist for short-term research-related visitors to on-campus facilities can be found here.