Protect Purdue Summary Report Fall 2021
Engage Purdue Community with Clear, Compelling Messaging
Strategic communication and marketing were essential to fostering a campus and communitywide culture of taking care of ourselves, others and our Boilermaker community. With Purdue’s pledge to journey back to normal operations in Fall 2021, the communication strategy had to strike a balance between the gravity of the public health crisis and persistent messaging that encouraged sustained engagement across various audiences.
The cross-functional Protect Purdue Communications Working Group, with 15+ members representing central campus units, was tasked with this effort, meeting daily through July 2021 and then once a week to coordinate efforts to communicate Protect Purdue guidelines.
The largely volunteer COVID-19 Information Center, which was established in March 2020, fielded 56,134 phone calls alone during the Fall 2021 semester.
Ambassadors Spread Word of Safety
After the initial success of the Boiler Ambassador program and its impact on the student body during the pandemic, Purdue Marketing and Communications carried the program into the Fall 2021 semester to continue peer-to-peer encouragement for the Protect Purdue initiative. The program consisted of roughly 70 students from nearly all class years and colleges. During the fall, the ambassadors:
- Distributed face masks and other items that reinforced positive behaviors.
- Logged 2,801 hours of service in support of the Protect Purdue Pledge.
- Executed 250+ projects to help students navigate pandemic life on campus.
- Created content for the @boilerambassadors Instagram account to share reminders, tips and information.
The Result of Efforts by the Boiler Ambassadors Team
Additional Fall 2021 Metrics
Purdue has maintained a central website since March 2020 to inform, educate and solicit feedback on university’s response to COVID-19 at protect.purdue.edu.
During the Fall 2021 semester, Purdue published 103 #ProtectPurdue posts on social media.
- Purdue posts generated 2.3 million impressions and 90,000+ engagements.
- Purdue Marketing and Communications produced 46 videos supporting Protect Purdue.
- Protect Purdue YouTube videos generated 61,209 views, resulting in more than 2,300 hours of video watch time.